Friday, March 6, 2015

Priorities.

Ever since I can remember, my dad has been in love with cars - specifically BMWs. He served his mission in Germany in the early 70s and has had a special place in his heart for these automobiles. And I can thank him for passing the bug onto me. 

Give me an old, semi-beat up, drivable BMW and my heart would melt with joy.


At this point in my life, I can't afford a car - but I often find myself planning, scheming, hoping, and wishing that soon, I can buy one of my dream cars. Sometimes these thoughts distract me from what is going on in the moment.

That leads me to what I have learned this week. It's all about priorities and sticking to them

What are my priorities? How much of my life should I devote to each different priority? 

Should I be longing and obsessing over old cars that I can't have right now? Should I be focused on martial arts and spending time away from home and school work? Should I sacrifice time to work at a job instead of doing school work? 

I want there to be a constant percentage of my life that I know I need to devote to church, and to schooling, and to family, and to martial arts, and to work. But there isn't. Life isn't easily segmented. And it definitely isn't held together perfectly all the time. Sometimes schooling is most important, and other days martial arts. Church activities may need my full attention at times. And that's okay. 

As long as I know what I stand for and what my priorities are, and act in such a way that leads me to fulfill my goals, life's alright. So, I am going to strive to live in the moment and be open to adjusting my focus to address the things that need my full attention at that time. As I do that, I can live a more fulfilling life - and maybe, one day, drive my dream car. 



No comments:

Post a Comment