Thursday, February 26, 2015

Of Things That Matter Most.

Big things are big things. Small things are small things. Small things can become big things if you let them. 

It's easy to let little issues or stressors begin to take control of your life. It can start out as having a lot of homework that is due. You begin to work on it. Next you realize that you have been working on your assignments consistently for the past 4 hours! Wonderful! Then you notice a familiar feeling start to make its way into your chest - the all too powerful "anxiety storm." How can this happen?? I have been doing everything I needed to for the past 4 hours! I shouldn't be stressed!

Well, sir, there is the issue right there! Stop. Breathe. Take a rest. And realize that life is good. Enjoy it! You don't need to frantically do ALL THE THINGS right this instant in order to be relatively stress free. Rather, slow down, and take time to focus on the things that matter most and recognize that there needs to be time to recover. For me, that includes a time for decompression and rest, otherwise I'll lose it. 

One of my professors semi-joked with our class that we need to lighten up and have some fun! He said he is going to assign a quiz that makes us have fun for 2 hours...or watch The Three Amigos. 

I am going to try to make time for decompression to balance out my workload and keep my sanity with me.

This has helped me a lot.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post! I am definitely the type of person who lets small things become big things haha--but I'm working on it! Anytime I start to feel overwhelmed, especially about school, I just remind myself that it's all going to get done and everything will be okay. Just a simple reminder like this helps me to refocus and get rid of that anxiety. Life is meant to be enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caulin, I am super impressed that you can study for four hours straight! I have a hard time focusing for four hours on homework. I have to take a small break every hour. My brain can only focus on one thing for so long. If I do not get the homework done by the time my brain is tired, I have to stop and take a break. Great job at going four hours straight.

    I agree that everyone needs to take a break! Everyone needs to have a little fun sometime. Fun is never limited, so reach to the sky and let your imagination soar. Fun is always possible.

    One of the best things I do to relieve stress is by watching cat videos, or going for a walk and taking in the beautiful nature around. Thanks for the positive stress relieving process. I hope to always continue to stop, breathe, and take a rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible insights. I know that for me personally it is so easy to get caught up in all of the little stressors of the day and forget about how lovely it might be outside, or perhaps the majesty of the mountains or the blessings of a home cooked meal. I honestly believe that taking an appropriate amount of time every day to focus on other things besides our list of "things to do" will definitely increase our happiness and peace. I find that focusing my thoughts on hymns or church or scriptures really helps me to relax.

    Thanks so much!

    Bryson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caulin,

    Your post was a perfect reminder for me. I know exactly what it is like to have so much to do that the stress of it all can become debilitating. I agree with your insight to prioritize tasks and just take them one at a time--to chip away at that long to-do list bit by bit. For me personally, the best stress-reliever is time at the gym, so no matter how busy I am, I try to make that a part of my everyday routine.

    Thanks for your post!

    Alexia

    ReplyDelete