Friday, March 13, 2015

You Can Learn if You Want to!

I have had "Safety Dance," by Men Without Hats, stuck in my head this week, and it is because of the title of this post. You can learn if you want to. This week, I was preparing for an Econ exam with a friend of mine. He asked me to help him study and I took that opportunity to help him, and at the same time study so I can do well in the class too. 

We ended up spending about 8 hours studying for this test together and it paid off. I took the exam today, and I got a perfect score. 100%. I was blown away! I forgot how important preparation was. A lesson I learned on my mission was this - "Prior Preparation Prevents Poor Performance."

If you put your mind to it, you can learn it. And actually enjoy it. So I am going to try to change my study habits and start preparing for exams a few days before I take the test. 

4 comments:

  1. Great insight! Thanks for the post. It is such a great reminder. Sometimes I forget that learning is only a matter of desire and putting forth the effort. I feel like every now and then I get in the rut of stressing myself out because there's too much to learn and study in school. Yes, it can be busy, but as you said, it can and should be fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree, the greatest way to really learn is to make the information applicable to yourself. "How can I benefit from this stuff?" By asking this question and making the concepts more focused toward your own benefit it really leave a lasting impression, versus just reading random information that doesn't benefit yourself in anyway. I really liked this post, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Your post is ironic because I posted almost the same thing a couple weeks ago. I will just concur with you that planning out your study time is so important. Most of them we will sit down with no agenda in mind and start studying. I feel that we are much more effective when we write down an agenda and plan out what we want to get out of study session. When I do this I learn a lot more than just sitting down to study.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post man!!! Preparation not only helps us achieve our goals but helps us be able to feel safe and secure for what is about to happen. It's always good to have a safety dance.

    ReplyDelete