Thursday, February 19, 2015

Doc Holliday

I love the movie Tombstone. It depicts the story of Wyatt Earp, his family and friends, and the gunfight behind the O.K. Corral. My favorite character of all is Val Kilmer's depiction of Doc Holliday. He is a no-nonsense, arrogant person dying of tuberculosis who is extremely loyal to his friends and truly cares about them.

Not only is it really entertaining, plays into all men's cowboy, gun-slinging dreams, but there is one scene that really stands out to me. Doc Holliday is on his death bed and his friend, Wyatt Earp, comes to visit him. The following is their conversation from the movie.


There is no normal life, Wyatt, it's just life. Get on with it.

I worry a lot about whether or not things are perfect in my life. They never are. According to Doc Holliday, there is no normal life. My need for this idea of perfection is my need to feel normal, balanced, and like I have myself together 100% of the time. It always leaves me distressed.

It is important to embrace life AS IT IS, and seek to improve from there. Our full effort determines our success, and whatever happens after that is going to happen anyway, so why worry?

Check out these posts from fellow class members:

No comments:

Post a Comment