Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Powerful Mind.



I am a martial artist as well as a student at BYU. I got married about 6 months ago and haven’t been able to train as much as I wanted. So as a result I find myself very out of shape. This weekend I went to Idaho in order to have a weekend to train with my instructor and his instructor. We met on Friday afternoon in SLC and drove to Hailey, Idaho. That’s about a 5-hour drive. Right when we pulled in, my instructor said, “Get out! We’re late!” and then we started to train...immediately. Boy oh boy – it was a rude awakening. Things that were easy to do in the past now seem impossible.

But something hit me. The teacher taught us that when the body says, “I have had enough, the mind kicks in and says, “Let’s keep going.” And then you keep going. Inevitably, the mind gets tired and says, “I’m done!” Then it is the spirit’s turn. The fighting spirit kicks in and then you can keep doing the task in front of you. There is always another layer.

You just need to smack yourself in the face, head butt a brick wall, and keep going! (Another quote from the same instructor)

Why is this important? Life presents obstacles on a daily basis, and it is important to be able to trust in and develop one’s ability to overcome.

My wife and me at a tournament in SLC - 15 Mar 2014

This week I will actually carry out my New Years Resolution – exercise Monday through Friday. It will help develop my fighting spirit, and that will help me to accomplish my goals.

I also learned a complementary lesson. Don’t forget God in my goals. Trust in God and not the arm of flesh.


No comments:

Post a Comment