Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Go With Your Gut Feeling: Maximize Utility

"It's that gut feeling of -- you're drawn to what you know feels right for yourself, and what you're passionate about."- Magnus Walker. The Urban Outlaw
Magnus Walker, founder of Serious Clothing company, and self-proclaimed Porsche enthusiast, recently gave a Ted Talk on his life's journey: growing up in England, dropping out of school, moving to America, starting a clothing company, and ultimately buying and refinishing old Porsche 911s.

In his own words, he "followed [his] gut feeling." He explains that the things he has done in life all have a common thread, a common bond, and that is the "freedom to do whatever I wanted to do, and a dream . . .  to be able to . . . live my life to the fullest and do whatever I wanted to do."

At an early age he realized his passion for Porsche. At ten years old he wrote to the company and said that he wanted to design for them. They wrote back and instructed him to contact them when he is older. Even though their response could have crushed his dreams, Magnus Walker was not dissuaded. He followed his gut feeling, acted according to his passions, and actually fulfilled his goal of designing Porsches.


How does this relate to me? I am a university student, just finishing my general education requirements. I have an opportunity to choose to live my life according to my own passions. I can choose to study whatever interests me. I don't have to get a "practical degree" -- one that I don't like, but think I should study because it will help me get a job. I don't even have to study something that is connected with the career I work in ten years from now.

If I choose to study something solely practical that doesn't appeal to me, I won't be "maximizing my utility" (a term used by economists that basically describes Magnus Walker's mentality -- be fulfilled in life because you did whatever you wanted to do).

I want to feel fulfilled. I want to look back and see a life full of happiness and good memories. So, right now, it is more important for me to study what I love as opposed to what I think will score a job. It is more important for me to explore my passions and pursue them. To find new ones. To rekindle old ones. By so doing, I am making the most of my life and enjoying it.

Magnus Walker refers to his Porsche passion as "this out of control hobby vibe of just enjoying the process all the way through." I am beginning to explore my passions and hobbies (like reading and writing for pleasure) in order to enjoy my process of life all the way through.

Watch the Ted Talk here.
Watch Magnus Walker's documentary entitled "Urban Outlaw" here.

3 comments:

  1. It’s interesting, we maximize our utility in different ways. I maximize my utility by studying Accounting. I don’t necessarily love accounting as much as dance, art, or music (my real passions), but I think that’s the most valuable knowledge I can gain at this point. Those are still elements of my life, but I’ve put them on a back burner to learn what, in my mind, are more applicable skills.

    I’ve wavered for years on what to study: Mathematics, Humanities, Performing Arts, Marketing, or Accounting. Where was the balance between passion and practicality? Ultimately, I decided Accounting was interesting enough for me. The practicality of the degree is the the draw for me, because I believe that is what will give me fulfillment, happiness, and good memories. Choosing to study a drull, practical degree will not bar you from doing what you love. I’m hoping it will give me the freedom to still do what I love, only now with the security of knowing I can provide for those I care about in the future.

    In the end, you’re right, because I’m going with my gut on this one. Studying Accounting feels right to me, and gives me the best chance at achieving what I ultimately want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your post Caulin! I always ask myself: "what unique talents and abilities have I been given that I can contribute to benefit somebody else?" And that is how I chose my major. I think the most important thing is to be contributing to other people's lives and therefore we enrich our own. It doesn't matter how much money we make from our degree if it isn't something that our passion is in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loves your post! We need to follow our dreams or we will never find our full potential in life. When we fail to follow our dreams, we are committing spiritual suicide.

    ReplyDelete